Angrakha, as we know today, was typically a court outfit worn by men in ancient India and the neighbouring countries. Literally meaning ‘protection of the body’ the etymology of this revamped word can be traced to its Sanskrit source ‘aṅgarakṣaka’. Characterized by a ‘wrap-around’ flair pattern with knot strings to tie onto the side torso, this attire provided ease, flexibility and comfort to men at a time in history when their daily life was largely defined by manoeuvres and unpredictable physical activities!
The journey of the angrakha has been a long and interesting one. From acquiring a place as an outfit to today being identified as a type of style, the variety and creativity that this single gem has added to men’s wardrobes is truly refreshing! From angrakha achkans to bandhgalas and angrakha style jackets and sherwanis, men today have better choices to flaunt their flair and flamboyance by opting for one such version of the style.
Needless to say, the charm of the Angrakhas cannot escape any soon-to-be-grooms who try to make the most from the comparatively limited outfit style options available to them. We too have listed seven such marvels to help you nail your special day’s look. Get started and get cracking then!
1. Everything about this outfit highlights ‘thought’ This sophisticated creation seamlessly blends the ancient angrakha style with modern drapes and rich craftsmanship to produce this gem! Be it a special soiree or a fun cocktail bash, you can be sure to rock it all in this attire.
Image Source Arjun Agarwal
2. Step out in this epitome of radiance! This elegant green angrakha kurta with intricate stone detailing is perfect for the auspicious pre-wedding puja.
Image Source Manyavar
3. This stunning deep wine angrakha bandhgala is essential for the wedding season. It makes for a classic pick and will take you from day to night, with pure panache!
Image Source Diwan Saheb
4. Add an aesthetic twist to your go-to black hues. Opt for this splendid creation that is neither overdone nor understated!
Image Source House of Pataudi
5. This crepe fabric beauty is ideal for grooms who like all things offbeat, subtle and soothing. Pair this with a smart khadi trouser and wait to see the magic of minimal unfold!
Image Source Torani
6. Redefine ‘pretty in pink’ by donning this clever indo-western couture elevated with a red pocket square. This look is style, elegance and charm all rolled into one!
Image Source Manyavar
7. When the heart beats for all things traditional, go all out there by flaunting an intricately designed angrakha kurta. Nothing defines comfort and craft better than this we bet!
Image Source Sabyasachi Official
Dear men, we hope you loved our bit and are now keen on cracking that perfect angrakha style look for your big day!